Sunday, May 6, 2012

Happy Birthday Trianna :) Candy Flowers and my Soon-To-Be Apprentice

The 3rd of May was my niece Trianna's birthday - and I was asked to do her cake as usual :) It's the first time doing a fondant figure- and probably the first time I had ever done a horse, so it took a little practice- trial and error if you want to call it... but this is what we came up with :) (and no, I cannot draw or sculpt a realistic horse to save my life ;) so floppy and cartoony is what she got ;)) Hey... it's a tired little pony after walking up that steep hill right? Right ;)


I was pretty excited about how it turned out :) As always, it is 100% edible.  And who says a horse can't have hot pink glittery horseshoes??? ;) If I ever have a horse, it sure will ;) (probably not going to happen... I am a city girl... I am so sensitive to smells it's almost like I have beagle genes :)) 

I was also really proud of my daughter- she made the cow spots, and also helped me paint the horse (we painted a white horse instead of dying the fondant first... I definitely recommend dying the fondant... that is too much of a pain in the patootie to get all the tiny little crevices- (especially when you put it on a cake that isn't straight on the top like this one, and it starts to pull slightly- showing every little white area we missed ;) and its a little too shiny for my tastes) My daughter is really showing a lot of promise- especially when it comes to fondant. About 4 years ago, when she was 10, we did some Starburst roses.  What is a Starburst rose you ask? Well, you take a Starburst, or a Laffy Taffy, or an Airhead, or Tootsie Roll (basically any soft stretchy candy) and warm it slightly in the microwave- then use it like fondant- or playdough! And to top it all off, it's delicious :) She made a pretty mean rose after me showing her only once- she actually made it better than mine!!!  If I had a sensitive ego- well... that would have bothered me, but I was really proud of her! She is even considering cake decorating as a career path :) I'm all for that!

Mothers Day is coming up people :) so if you want some candy or a cake to make your mom's day special - feel free to let me know!!! :) (click on the let me know... it goes straight to my email ;))

Have a most fantabulous week- and Sweet Dreamz!!! :)

Renee :D

No comments:

Post a Comment