Monday, April 16, 2012

For all you Twi-Hards out there...

I know I am really going to anger a few people here, but I have to admit...I am not a huge fan of Twilight... Yes, I have read all the books, and I have seen the first 3 movies.  That was more than enough for me.  That said, my daughters are :) and at 14 and 13, I guess who can blame them- everyone else is.  Just not my cup of tea I guess. I have always been more of an action/suspense movie person, so maybe that's why... there are a few other problems that I have with it, but we'll just leave it at that.  What's even more "fun" is that my eldest daughter is a die hard Edward fan and the other is Team Jacob... yah. If you were to ask me, and if I were forced to choose... I would have to say I am, if anything, Team Emmett. I have always loved guys who are happy and funny, not so depressing and morose all the time (that and I may or may not think the actor who plays him is quite adorable... well, in his non vampire-mode anyway) But again... that's just me. Now what in the world does this have to do with sweets? Let me tell you :)

So my  daughter's birthday the last two years has involved making a rather large Twilight cake.  You can probably guess which one it is...



The "book" was made of cake and was leaning back on some skewers for support - these pictures are also laminated prints not edible. The flames on the side weren't exactly what I wanted, but overall, I was pretty proud of myself for the first try.  I will say this... YOU try finding pictures of "Jacob Black" with a shirt on... not very easy ... ;)

And of course I can't just do the same cake twice... so I had to mix it up a little bit :) And definitely improve on the technique for the second year.  I had a lot of things that I knew I could improve upon so I thought why not? For not liking Twilight I admit I definitely had fun planning and making this one.


See... this is part of the reason for the apology about my pictures... my camera phone really leaves much to be desired when it comes to taking pictures.  I really should go and get a decent camera... someday :) 
I absolutely loved the picture of the wolves- they were fan art, so not from the movie, but I really thought it was well done. It is a very ethereal sepia tone picture of wolves with a silhouette of wolves howling in the foreground and it says "I run with wolves".  I wish I had a better picture of it... All of these pictures were done on rice paper with edible ink. The book was standing straight up with straws up the middle for support instead of leaning back- and I liked that much better. I hand painted a forest on the bottom tier (this is all buttercream by the way) and the flames on the middle tier are hand painted too. I did make a major cake decorating faux pas (aka huge boo boo) though and forgot the supports between the tiers.  Hence the pretty obvious leaning of the cake... thank goodness it wasn't for a paying customer ;)!!
I think I will definitely encourage her to have a new theme for her party this year, I don't know if I could come up with another one :)
Please feel free to let me know what you think!!! :)
Hope you all have a most fantabulous rest of your week and Sweet Dreamz to you all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment