Thursday, April 26, 2012

Confessions of a Cheap... uh... Frugal :) Candy Maker

I am going to tell you something that will totally shock and amaze you...

no I'm totally serious...

Candy is NOT that expensive to make....

GASP! Whaaaaat?! Say it ain't so!!!

When you walk into a candy store, and they are charging you a bazillion dollars a pound (ok... about $10 or even more :) but still...) you can laugh and turn your little self right around.  And call me .... hehehe .... ;) Just kidding... kind of :) Please do!

True story... a friend and I were at a mall in SLC and decided to go into a candy store (which shall remain nameless of course to protect the innocent ;)).  At this time I had just been making truffles and other such "fancy" candies for a few years so I knew what it took to make them... well, when we asked why they charged such and such a price for truffles, they said because the ingredients are expensive and they take a really long time to make.   I tried not to laugh... seriously... because honestly, the truffles that they made, while they were delicious don't get me wrong :) were soft.  Now this means one of two things, they used more cream, or less chocolate than the recipe that Lindt uses- and the one that I use.  Truffles should be firm.  You should get teeth marks in it.  Yes it should be super duper beyond silky smooth... but it should be firm. These... were not.  Now, really... that is all truffles are is cream and chocolate (and butter) ... go ask any candy maker.  Ganache is what truffles are, and ganache is cream, chocolate and butter.  Now how is that expensive? And if they are skimping on the most expensive part of the candy (the chocolate) then seriously... I think it is just a ploy by candy makers to make people think that they couldn't possibly EVER do what they do.  Because if they knew... they would probably go home and make it themselves.  Which is why I started making them :) Now, there is some time required to make truffles... most of it waiting for the ganache to chill and set.  I can literally make 2 lbs of truffles in an hour or less (HAND rolling and dipping mind you- (no little scoop for me like they use...) even less time if they are made big like the ones in said store.) And this is using REAL cream, and REAL chocolate. No joke. So now you can see why I tried to contain my laughter. 

Now... I may be killing myself here... I mean what candy maker would tell others their secrets??? I would make a mint if I sold my truffles for what the major stores do.  However, I believe in honesty. I charge the most for candies that take the most time and effort (and expensive ingredients) to make.  That's it.  And many people don't really want to take the time to do what I do.  Which is fine with me :).  What I do, to me, is fun, and quite honestly, stress relief for me.  For some people baking and cooking is worse than a root canal... which is why they buy the stuff they don't want to make.  It isn't worth it to them.  If a hobby isn't fun... then it's not really worth the time to do is it?

There... now I told you my secret...

I also wanted to share with you my most awesome secret recipe I have found this year.  Sweetened Condensed Milk.  The super duper rich thick concoction in a little can... that costs upwards of $1.50 per 14 oz. (or about 1 cup)ON SALE... ouch. Which is why I have always avoided the recipes that can be made with it... until now that is :) I can tell you how to make your very own sweetened condensed milk for less than $.60 for over a cup.  again... GASP! And it works just as well as any canned milk can in candy recipes.  (and dessert recipes... I will have to share a couple super awesome recipes with you later on...) They come from this amazing website... Everyday Food Storage.  Now, if you are a beginning food storer or even one of those people who have basements with shelves lined with water and generators, and TONS of food... this website is absolutely priceless.  So here it goes:

Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered milk (2 cups instant/ 1 cup non instant- check your package :))
1/2 cup boiling water
1 TB butter (NOT margarine)

While you are boiling your water, place all other ingredients in the blender (yes you heard right :)) Pour the boiling water over the mixture and blend.... that's it! No super secret techniques... no amazing tricks... just blend until ultra smooth, and cool :)

See? I told you it was awesome! So now, when you make any recipe that calls for sweetened condensed milk and you don't have any on hand? Don't cry... just whip out your powdered milk and your blender and you are good to go.  (thanks of course goes to the amazing Crystal from the Everyday Food Storage website. Yay Crystal!!!) Now go... make those awesome microwave caramels I told you about last week... :) (click the link for the recipe :)) You're so very welcome... I just feel so darn giving today :)

Hope you all have a wonderful rest of your week!!! Sweet Dreamz!!
Renee :D

No comments:

Post a Comment